Monday, July 22, 2013

Last Week of Summer Session, Oy

Well, it's arrived. The good news is it's the last week of summer session. The bad news is it's the last week of summer session. GOOD because afterwards, I get a short break to catch my breath and get ready for fall semester. BAD because this week the Writing Center will be crazy full of students who've slacked off all semester about getting appointments in and their hours done; there will hardly be a moment to breathe or even run down the hall to pee because the stand-by list will be packed full of kids sitting there waiting and hoping that somebody flakes on an appointment or an appointment will run short and we'll be able to squeeze them in. As a bit of an empath, I feel their tension and worry and even rage that there aren't enough of us to see them all. Oh, I'll throw up a mental cone of protection to ward some of those negative energies off, but it can be tough to block them all off.

And then there's my own frustration I have to keep in check, especially with the students who sit down in front of me for their first lab visit of the semester, not caring what kind of help I give them with an essay--some will even outright admit with a shrug, when I ask them "what can I do for you?" "Whatever. I just need a signature." I do my best to summon patience and peace because I know the situation they're in is not my fault--but it's still just a hard week to get through without my own stress bursting through and giving some of them a not-so-tactful piece of my mind.

Oh, well. I've survived it before; I'll survive it again. Meanwhile, I find it helps to meditate and ask the God of My Heart to help me put forth my best and to not get lost in the worst.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

No comments: