Sunday, June 2, 2013

Home Again, Home Again.....

I'm back!!!

But, too pooped to post much yet. Got in late last night (up at 4:30am Cairo time, arrived 10:30pm Pacific Time US), with only a few short naps on the planes. I dragged myself out of bed this morning to post my final grades for work, pay bills, and do laundry, and now I'm going to go collapse.

But here's a pic of me between the paws of the Sphinx. We were quite lucky and got to do a lot of things that most tourists don't, and that's because the owner of the tour company our group used is very well connected (no kidding, he actually got Zahi Hawass to come to our hotel and treat us to a lecture on recent discoveries in Egypt). He also personally knows guys like Robert Bauvall and Graham Hancock. Hence, we got to go into the Sphinx enclosure, inside the Great Pyramid (all the way up to the King's Chamber), into the Temple of Sekhmet at Karnak Temple (closed to tourists for the past 40 years, since it is being reconstructed), and we got lots of private tours of other temples (mainly because he scheduled them either early morning for sunrise or late evening--for example, we toured the Temple of Horus at midnight under the full moon).

I have so much to say and so much reflection still to do, but needless to say it was a transformational experience.

More to come.....

No comments: