Wednesday, May 15, 2013

On Making Mistakes


As Jay Gatsby famously insisted, "Of course you can repeat the past." Well, no you can't. But what you can do is learn from the past. Over the years, I've found that, ultimately, if I don't learn the lessons my mistakes are attempting to teach me, that same lesson will be placed in front of me again.

You can hate your parents or hate your ex or hate people who have mistreated you in some way, but how did those experiences help you grow? What did you take away from the lesson? Truth is, those experiences shape us and build character, and they can be used to make us better people. Some of those lessons are hard learned, but they nevertheless help us grow and give us the wisdom of experience. Forgive yourself.

In this sense, the only real mistake is not learning from our mistakes.

No comments: