Saturday, March 30, 2013

Devotion Through Art



This seems an appropriate post for Easter, even if you're not a Christian. Music and art belong to all of us. So, here is Handel's "The Hallelujah Chorus" performed by the Chicago Symphony, featuring  Michelangelo's ceiling paintings from the Sistine Chapel. It's funny now to think that Michelangelo at first did not want to accept the commission because he considered himself a sculptor, not a painter. Yet he accepted the challenge, having to paint the ceiling lying on his back on a scaffold. He also wound up painting The Last Judgment on the wall behind the altar of the Chapel.

Click here for a virtual tour of the Sistine Chapel.

2 comments:

Rebecca S. Mahoney (Becky) said...

What a beautiful tribute to the Ressurection and I loved the scenes from the Sistine Chapel. I was there in 2008, my photos don't do it justice. It moves me to tears when I think of the capacity of man to create such beauty; Michaelangelo as well as Handel. I always thought The Messiah should be sung at Easter more so than Christmas, but anytime is joyful. Thanks for sharing this!

Joyce said...

My pleasure! Happy Easter!