Monday, December 17, 2012

Labradorite



I've always held an affinity for certain rocks or crystals and keep a few special ones on my altar. There are those who claim certain stones or crystals are good for activating particular chakras and the like. I don't believe they do in any sort of magical way (any more than I believe wearing, say,  a protective talisman will ward off evil spirits), but stones, crystals, minerals and such do exude certain energies. Some people are more sensitive to their energies than I am, but one that I own about five pieces of (three on my altar, one in my office, and one that I use as an occasional pocket stone) is labradorite. If you watch the video above, you'll see why.

It reminds me always of a metaphor to apply to people: they are not always as they seem. Someone can seem plain, average, or even ugly, but look at them from a different direction or viewpoint, and someone beautiful may actually be right there in front of you and you never took the time to pay attention.

Technically, labradorite is a feldspar mineral. New Age healers attribute all sorts of properties to it, among them relief of anxiety, increased focus and clarity, increased intuition and psychic ability, and improving the ability to have lucid dreams or astral project.

In a word, it's cool.

No comments: