Thursday, November 1, 2012

Breeders Cup 2012: Picks for Friday Nov 2

Well, it's that time of year again--The Breeders' Cup, where the world's best race horses gather together for a two-day showdown to prove to the world who's the best in their category. Tomorrow's races largely comprise "Ladies Day."

What I've done is simply pick my four favorite horses (in no particular order) for each of the Breeders Cup races. You can decide how to put together your own tickets, but if you're doing superfectas, these would be the ones I'd use unless I saw something on the track or saddling ring that I didn't like beforehand that makes me toss a horse out (or, perhaps, see something I like so much that I substitute another).


Race 4 (the Juvenile Sprint): Merit Man is the pick and a likely single. But Super Ninety Nine poses a threat, and behind him are Hazardous and Sweet Shirley Mae.

Race 5 (the Marathon): Fame and Glory, Grassy, Worth Repeating, and Commander. If you have deep pockets, my guts also say to maybe toss in Eldaafer too. He performed horribly in this race last year, but here he is again and his connections more likely have him ready. He could pull a surprise.

Race 6 (Juvenile Fillies Turf): Sky Lantern, Watsdachances (how can you NOT bet a filly with a name like that?!), Flashy Ways, and then my longshot filly I hope blows them all out of the water. Why? She's a US filly who does NOT run on Lasix, never has. If Kitten's Point can win this race while not running on Lasix, that would sure help make the case for getting this diuretic out of the sport in this country.

Race 7 (Juvenile Fillies): Dreaming of Julia, Spring in the Air, Kauai Katie, and Beholder.

Race 8 (Filly & Mare Turf): Marketing Mix, Lady of Shamrock, Ridasiyna, and Zagora.

Race 9 (Ladies' Classic): Well, Royal Delta will be the favorite. I also like Love and Pride, Awesome Feather, and My Miss Aurelia. (Screw Grace Hall: the Dutrows can kiss my ass because they give this sport a bad name.)

Good luck and bet responsibly!

Morning Update: second thoughts about maybe also tossing in The Fugue in Race 8 and Atigun in Race 5, although Atigun may be a "bet against" if at really short odds. 

No comments: