Sunday, September 2, 2012

Riffs on a Sunday Morning



I came across this on Facebook this morning and it honestly made me stop to think. Look at the state of the world today--the endless wars, terrorism, poverty, unflinching scary dogmas. Look at the fighting, snarking, and ranting already going on over the 2012 Presidential election here in the United States (of which I freely admit I contribute to... well, snarking anyway. I tend to not fight with people.) But I do grow more cynical with each passing year--and as George Carlin once said, "Within every cynic is a disappointed idealist."

We doggedly stick to this idea that humankind evolves--the history of humankind is the history of human progress over the ages; and, then I read something like the above and I have to wonder, "Really?"

I am continually trying to adjust my view, change the seat I'm in, rather than falling into the deep dark hole of fear-based and anger-based thinking. Raging against the machine may inspire some to action, but you're still living in a place of rage. I don't want to turn into a bitter old person.

Humor keeps me going--I thank the Creator I have a keen sense of the absurd. And really the world today is theater of the absurd. I have been known to stop and consider the fact that here we all have assigned Social Security numbers, for instance, which you must have--and yet we consider ourselves free.

What is civilization? What does it mean to be "civilized?"

The Indians had something we are sorely missing--a sense of community. Instead, what we continually experience is the result of a fractured community.

I was also thinking about poet John Donne this morning, and this poem:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee. 


So instead I remind myself of what I want and what I'm willing to give to get it. That's the law of the universe--focused mindfulness, getting back what you put out.  Do I sound crazy when I say I want to see the earth and humankind healed?  

And what I'm willing to give back is to do it myself, as much as any one human being can accomplish. The task begins with myself and my own personal evolution and transformation.

 The more of us who do so, the more we evolve and heal together.

No comments: