Saturday, August 25, 2012

RIP Neil Armstrong


"That's one small step for a man; and, one giant leap for mankind."

In July of 1969, I had just turned seven years old, and I remember my daddy calling Wayne and me downstairs to watch the moon landing on our black and white tv. I don't remember much, but I do recall watching the astronauts bouncing around on the surface of the moon and daddy telling us we were watching history being made. I remember later getting a coloring book that told the story of the moon landing, including a page with then-President Richard Nixon on the phone congratulating the astronauts. What a decade that was. Whenever there was a liftoff or a splashdown for any of the Apollo missions, classes came to a halt at school, and we all gathered around the television to watch.  It's funny to think that the USS Hornet, berthed here in the Bay Area over in Alameda, was the ship that collected these astronauts from the water, bringing the Apollo 11 moon landing mission to a successful end. 

I wonder if the American flag they planted on the moon is still there.

Rest in peace, Neil Armstrong, first man to set foot on the moon.



No comments: