Saturday, May 5, 2012

Congrats to I'll Have Another!



What an incredible race today! To my surprise, Mike Smith took Bodemeister right to the front and tried to wire the race, setting some of the fastest splits I've ever seen. But, as you might expect, the horse tired in the lane--yet he still managed to hang on for second.

Congratulations to I'll Have Another, to trainer Doug O'Neill, to jockey Mario Gutierrez, and to famous pony horse Lava Man. I'll Have Another won the Santa Anita Derby, and the local story is that the "another" is not another drink but another cookie. It's always nice to see a California horse go on to win the Kentucky Derby, and I'm so happy for Mario (who actually used to ride at Golden Gate Fields for a time, when he first came down from Canada). I confess I tossed a show bet on I'll Have Another just before the race because he looked good on the track (did you see Hansen? He looked totally washed out) but I was too chicken to go for the win bet--honestly I didn't think he could win from way out in the 19-hole. But props for that ride. Mario got his horse over to the left but outside the traffic, saving ground while guaranteeing himself a clean trip. It was beautifully done.

Not sure what happened to Union Rags--my guess he got boxed in. I'll have to watch the replay later.

The finish was I'll Have Another, Bodemeister, Dullahan, and Went the Day Well.


No comments: