Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spring Break!

I'm visiting a friend in Texas over Spring Break this year, so I flew into Houston yesterday and this morning we drove the hour to Galveston. Here is the view from our hotel room.

Last night we had dinner at the Kemah Boardwalk, and afterwards, Di showed me how "tame" the seagulls are there. Yup, they will swoop down and eat right out of your hand! Of course, half the time they just knocked the food out of your hand and then dove down to the water to retrieve it, but I tried it myself and sure enough, their aim is pretty good. There was also an aquarium exhibit in which we got to feed stingrays little sardines. The stingrays don't have teeth so it felt a lot like being gummed by a slithery creature as they'd crane out of the water to take the fish from your fingers.



Since it was sprinklng and overcast, today we visited Moody Gardens in Galveston, which is a gigantic indoor rainforest terrarium and aquarium. I was most charmed by the baby sea turtles and the penguins. We also saw a 4D film on tornado storm chasers, which wound up being ironic because two big tornadoes touched down in northern Texas today. Funny, for all the time I lived in Iowa and Illinois, I never saw a tornado--sort of like, so far, out of fifteen years in San Francisco, the only earthquakes I've ever felt have been small ones. Knock on wood.


No comments: