Thursday, February 9, 2012

Just Practicing: "Wish You Were Here"



My friends and I have been having a discussion about figuring out what key is best for my voice. Now, I am no singer, but the truth is, if you're going to play around with the guitar, you kind of have to sing along most of the time, or nobody will know what you're playing. Singing a little higher is what feels natural to me, but virtually everybody tells me that I sound more natural when I sing in the lower ranges. So, here, towards the first part, I let myself go a little higher, and towards the end, I let myself go a little lower. Which do you think sounds better?

Um, be nice. I've had a few friends tell me "neither--shut the hell up!" LOL

6 comments:

Di said...

now make one for here of Bobbie McGee... in the lower and let them hear it. (that was the initial conversation starter right?)

Joyce said...

I didn't sing that one any lower! It is posted, though... you just have to scroll down and find it. Was a couple weeks ago.

Di said...

wonder, then, which one it was... the one that I said you sang so well in a lower key... it was the one that started this whole bit. :)

(My word verification is sloth... what I feel like since I have been sick lol)

Joyce said...

SLOTH! that's my favorite deadly sin.

Hey, take a look at what Julie said on this post on Facebook. She's a singer, so I found it pretty helpful. She gave me a way to find my range.

FROG'S new PAD said...

JUST KEEP SINGIN', Joyce! Don't let the naysayers stop ya! I used to joyfully lead camp and church youth guitar-song. Do what feels right, does not strain your cords, and sing loud and proud!

Joyce said...

Oh, I don't think I have any naysayers really, just people who flinch and cringe and wince hahaha