Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Yosemite: Tunnel View


Here's my latest little painting on the last of the 8 x 6 canvas boards I got in the kit I received at Christmas. This is a classic view of Yosemite Valley from a pull-off known as "Tunnel View." On the right is El Capitan, in the middle in the background is a glimpse of Half Dome, and on the right is Bridalveil Fall.

This was an experiment in seeing how light changes the color of the granite and how the shadows from the clouds do the same. I remarked to Chelle yesterday that painting is starting to change the way I notice things. Whereas before, I'd have said: "A tree. You know, green leaves. Brown trunk," now I see multi shades of green and yellow, then brown, gray, and black. The mind oversimplifies things, of course, until you look at those things more closely. I suppose that's a lesson in life.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I remove spam. Please don't post bizarre links to places on this blog.