Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Do the Thing You Are Afraid to Do

For me, fear was the thing that kept me trapped in my comfort zone. Fear of change, fear of rejection, fear of consequences, fear of being misunderstood. My fears kept me small. Often, my fears (particularly of consequences) drove me to lie. I often felt I had something to give the world, but I just couldn't muster the courage to burst out of my comfort zone.

Courage is not the absence of fear; courage is being afraid and doing it anyway.

And when you do it anyway, that's where the miracles are. Things you never imagined will happen.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
--Marianne Williamson

Step out of your comfort zone. Do the thing you are afraid to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well i'm just gonna say this. Honestly nearly made me cry. It's just so hard. Thank you for writing this short, but very honest, blog.

Joyce said...

You're welcome... many blessings and wishes for courage :)