Monday, October 24, 2011

How to Get Through Step Four


Lots of people go out when they do Step Four. It brings them so much grief to dredge up past hurts, injuries done to them and injuries they've done to others--a detailed Step Four can get overwhelming. Resist the urge to judge yourself harshly. We've all done stupid and hurtful things. We've all been someone's victim. Instead of beating yourself up about it, ask yourself, "What can I learn from that experience?" This is how you will be able to move past it.

See yourself as a seeker of wisdom.

4 comments:

The Subversive Librarian said...

I love this sentiment. Thanks -- I'm a little bogged down in a fourth step right now myself.

Joyce said...

When I was in rehab, one of my roommates told me that she fell off the wagon twice just trying to get through Step 4. She had many regrets.

It also seems to be a step you have to do several times... it's like, every time I unpeel a layer and figure out a new pattern of behavior I've been repeating, I've got to go back and revisit that step again with my "new eyes."

Yet each time is easier and easier, and each time I'm much less hard on myself.

just jane said...

So moving, especially today for me, somehow. I keep beating myself up and shying away from new things. You have inspired me, and I thank you.

Peace,

Jane

Joyce said...

Be good to yourself. :)