Friday, September 16, 2011

An Off Day

For me, life has its own rhythms, its own pulses. Sometimes I'm not even aware that something is wrong until it dawns on me I'm not following the beat.

Self-evolution happens in fits and starts.

I don't move in a straight direction; progress happens in a spiral.

I read this today: "Life swings like a pendulum from one thing to another, one emotion to another, one belief to another. If you force the pendulum, it becomes a wrecking ball damaging everything in your path."

My ego sends me into existential crises.

I must be still and breathe; be still and breathe; until I pick up the rhythm again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life's rhythms

1615BD said...

Something I've recently read that you might like:

"Becoming wise means, for me, forgetting less often -- and remembering sooner when I've forgotten -- the three things that are fundamentally true. The Buddha called these the Three Characteristics of Experience.

Everything is always changing.

There is a cause-and-effect lawfulness that governs all unfolding experience.

What I do matters, but I am not in charge. Suffering results from struggling with what is beyond my control."

From Sylvia Boorstein's *happiness is an inside job.*

Joyce said...

Yes, that's why I need to get still... it reminds me that I'm not in charge and that things are unfolding the way they will, following a natural order I may never understand... but I still must have faith my experience has value and purpose.

1615BD said...

Ah -- how could I overlook "Be still and breathe." Yes, yes, yes!!

Joyce said...

:)