Monday, August 15, 2011

Happy 7th Anniversary to My Wife

I dedicate today's blog to my wonderful wife. We were married three years ago today, although today we've been together seven years. (We also got a civil union in Vermont five years ago this past April, when gay marriage wasn't yet legal in California--then rescinded by Prop 8, although the law couldn't "undo" those marriages already performed). I am happy to report that, so far, our marriage seems to have had zero impact on the sanctity of heterosexual marriage.

All that aside, I am blessed to be with a truly remarkable person. I'm fond of saying that she is the only person I've ever been with with whom I am absolutely secure that nothing I may say or do could ever be an automatic deal-breaker, something so bad that she'd kick me to the curb. There is such security in that. And I feel the same way about her: no matter what happens, I know it's not the end of the world and we'll work it out. We have weathered so much together, borne the ups and downs, survived my hitting the bottom of my addiction to alcohol, and bounced back even stronger than we ever were. I am comfortable showing her my faults, sharing with her my failures, and willing to be vulnerable, weak, and needy in her arms. Likewise, I hold her and wipe away her tears. Even when we fight, it's a short-lived conflict that we learn and grow from.

But mostly we share with each other triumphs and laughs and are each other's best friend. We "get" each other. Being loving and intimate, being lovers, is just icing on the cake.

Happy Anniversary, my dearest friend. I'm looking forward to many, many more of them, until the end of our days.