Saturday, June 11, 2011

Belmont Stakes Picks

Well, the Belmont Stakes is a tough race to handicap because the distance is so significant (a mile and a half) and none of them has gone that far yet in a race. By far the best horse in the field who is bred for the distance is Animal Kingdom, who won the Kentucky Derby, and was gaining on Shackleford in the Preakness. He's my top pick, but you won't get a price on him.

Other horses I like: Master of Hounds. He should be able to handle the distance and seems to be improving on the switch to dirt.

Nehro is also improving and might just get there. There's endurance on his daddy's side.

Mucho Macho Man is the kind of horse that grinds along and grinds along, so I think he'll finish, and I like the positive jockey switch to Dominguez.

Shackleford will take an early easy lead. The question is, can he hold on to it until the end? I'm doubtful, although that horse has the kind of heart to pull off a miracle. Still, as the Preakness winner, his odds won't be good, so I'm thinking he may just hang on for a piece. (Update: actually his present odds are 9-1. And the sloppy track might favor him.)

Santiva and Brilliant Speed may also be on the board somewhere, but not first.

The rest I'm tossing out.

I'll post a Pick 4 later. Good luck!

May they all come home safe and sound.

No comments: