Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Kentucky Derby 137

Well, hot damn! Or Hot Brown. It's Holy Week and I haven't uttered a word about the Kentucky Derby or the Oaks.

It's weird, but I just don't have a Derby horse this year. For a while, it was looking like Uncle Mo would be the favorite, but now it's probably going to be Dialed In, and rumors are flying Uncle Mo still isn't right after his abysmal performance in the Wood Memorial and will be scratched. And there's a 50% chance of rain forecast (again!) for Derby Day.

As of now, I'm thinking it's anybody's race, so I'm tempted to just bet any horse going off at odds of 10-1 or better.

I don't think the horse will win, but Twice the Appeal will be a tantalizing bet with Calvin Borel aboard. This is a local horse trained by Jeff Bonde, and it's not every day you actually know a trainer who's got a horse in the Derby. Jeff took the Sunland Derby-Mine That Bird approach to get to Churchill Downs, and, well, it worked for Mine That Bird.

When I settle on some actual bets (pick 3's, 4's, exactas, etc) I'll post them here the night before. For sure the 137th Derby will be a good betting race.

No comments: