Monday, April 4, 2011

Vegas, Baby!


Well, here I am in Las Vegas enjoying my Spring Break. Las Vegas must be the last hurdle, I think, for a recovering alcoholic (though Bourbon Street in New Orleans is a close second). It's funny, but you never pay attention to booze, it seems, until you can't have any. Or maybe it's because I'm sober and am more attentive to my surroundings. But I saw tons of people walking down Las Vegas Blvd. with those yard-high daquiris and, whereas before I swear the cocktail waitresses covering the slot machines used to ignore me, it seems this time they paid me special attention.

"Drink?"

"No, thank you."

I have downed quite a bit of club soda with lime and Perrier, though.

We went to the Bellagio today (see movie above for a look at the dancing fountains), because I always have luck gambling specifically on the MegaBucks slots there. Sure enough, today I hit a $480 jackpot there, and yesterday I won another little jackpot, so I'm actually UP here in the fabulous city of Lost Wages. (Never fear, I still have plenty of time to gamble it away.)

Last night we saw Blue Man Group, and they are great--funny and just awesome, particularly if you like lots of percussion. Oh, and flying paint. Today we caught the Titanic exhibit at the Luxor, and though that was pricier than it probably should have been, it was interesting. It was rather eerie, actually, looking at salvaged things that had belonged to the passengers, including items that couldn't be completely restored or repaired, such as somebody's water-damaged postcards. The "star" of the exhibit, though, was a large piece of the ship's hull.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 80s here, so we may just relax during the day by the pool. Dinner will be back at the Bellagio, at Jasmine, for us to celebrate one of our anniversaries (Vermont civil union on April 12th). That's a perk of being gay, by the way. We have been civil unioned, domestic partnered, and then married. (The anniversary of our marriage is August 15th.) But to simplify matters for you all, we'll have been together 7 years this August.

Did it feel great to wake up this morning in Las Vegas not hungover? Yes, it did.

No comments: