Monday, April 18, 2011

Game of Thrones

So, I watched the premiere episode of Game of Thrones last night on HBO. I'd been anticipating this new series for at least three months now, it being recommended to me by a friend who knows how much I loved The Tudors. I also enjoyed Rome, Spartacus: Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena, and I really wish I got Showtime so I could watch the new series on the Medici when it starts. Just call me a history whore.

Now, Game of Thrones is fictional, but I also enjoy True Blood and the Vampire Diaries, so series based on books appeal to me as well. I've not read any of these, but that's not necessary. In fact, I never have time to read this sort of thing (only the serious stuff for school), and actually it's kind of fun to NOT know the plot ahead of time so all the cliffhangers keep me wanting more.

Blah blah blah. So, did I like Game of Thrones? Dunno. The jury's out. (Not to worry, it usually takes several episodes before I'm either hooked or I lose interest.) I can say the first episode didn't bore me. There are clear "good guys" and "bad guys." As you might guess from the title, the arc for a big battle over who will be king has also been introduced. I expect all the major characters have been introduced.

But I'm sorry, the barbarian horde on horseback might have had beefcake eye candy just like Spartacus did, but honestly they looked and acted like Klingons to me. Also I wondered why every single couple having sex in the pilot episode had to do it doggy style.

Well, maybe that's just the convention in this mythical kingdom.

One thing's for sure, you can't beat the top-notch casting, the graphics, and the scenery.

Oh, and there was plenty of T&A for the boys.

P.S. I did love the baby wolves, especially that adorable white one. Can't wait to see what happens when he gets big.

P.P.S. The graphic above is apparently based on a board game about this series. The books apparently have a huge fan following.

No comments: