Monday, March 21, 2011

Stop Polishing the Turds

One of the funniest pieces of advice I ever heard in an AA meeting was this: "If you're sick of living in shit, then get out of it. You're not going to make your situation better by sitting there polishing the turds."

Such beauty in simplicity.

How often do we try to improve our situation not by stepping out of it but by sticking on a Band-Aid or by changing the rules a bit or by applying some other little tweak? Alcoholics are great at this. "I'm not really an alcoholic; I'm just a problem drinker. I'll just start drinking beer only." No, you're an alcoholic. Normal drinkers don't have to control their drinking. STOP DRINKING.

The mindset bleeds over into every little thing you do in your life (no matter what your addiction is, be it booze, pot, relationships, shopping, or you name it.)

"It's not really a lie; it's just a little fib." No, it's not; if it's not the truth, it's a lie. If you don't want to be a liar, then start being honest.

"It's not really an affair, at least not a bad one; my wife just has lost all interest in sex." Dude, it's an affair. If you don't want to be a cheater, then don't cheat.

"It's not really stealing; I need to pay my rent, and he has plenty, so it's fair that I swipe this fifty bucks from his wallet." Nope, it's not yours, so it's stealing. If you don't want to be a thief, don't steal.

"She is such a bitch! People need to know how horrible she is." Really? If you don't want to be a gossip, don't gossip.

You can dress up the shit all you like, put glitter on it, spray perfume on it, and tie a big red bow around it, but guess what? It's still shit.

2 comments:

just jane said...

You gave me a huge smile, just now. I shared your first paragraph with my husband, and he too found the wisdom in the humor. Yes, a big fat yes! Thank you, and Peace. Jane

Joyce said...

Hi Jane! Glad to bring y'all a chuckle today. Definitely there is wisdom in humor. :)