Friday, March 11, 2011

San Francisco Area is Fine

Woke up this morning to lots of texts and emails from people concerned about the tsunami warning on the West Coast. I'm so grateful for my friends and family, and I do appreciate the prayers and good wishes sent our way.

San Francisco itself and San Mateo County did not sustain any major damage as far as I've heard. There was some rough sea and about 2-3 foot higher waves, but thankfully the tsunami waves came in during low tide, so nothing really went over the sea walls as far as I can tell from news reports and such.

Jimmy's condo on Ocean Beach is fine, and Chelle and I of course are fine since we're not near the ocean at all and up a hill from San Francisco Bay. Pacifica and Half Moon Bay were evacuated and residents to the west of Hwy One were directed up the hill on 92, so the traffic congestion and cars stopped along the roadway were probably the biggest hazard.

Santa Cruz to the south of us and Crescent City (far north of us) seemed to get the worst surge, with some damage and a fatality recorded. It made me pause for a moment to reflect upon the fact that an earthquake in Japan could actually result in a death in Northern California. How huge the world seems sometimes, yet today it seems much smaller.

Photos and updates are at the San Francisco Chronicle here.

And, of course, we are sending our prayers, condolences, and good wishes to the people of Japan in the wake of this incredible disaster.

4 comments:

Kristin H. said...

I have family in both of those areas. Not a word from them yet. But the brother in Petaluma is Coast Guard, so I imagine he's busy...

Joyce said...

I'm sure he is just up to his eyeballs in work right now. Still hearing that the only fatality was in Crescent City... a small group of men taking photographs were swept out to the ocean, and the Coast Guard was unable to recover one of them. I hope they get in touch with you soon, though.

Subversive Librarian said...

I'm glad you and yours are okay. Very scary stuff!

Joyce said...

Just a little excitement. I'm surprised Hawaii hasn't been more in the news--parts of Kona got really slammed. But Japan has just had one big smack after another.....