Saturday, November 20, 2010

Brandi Carlile with Seattle Symphony

In a word, Brandi Carlile was EXTRAORDINARY! This photo is of MaryLou and me before the music started; it's a bit grainy because it was taken with my iPhone, and my hair is totally flat because we got rained on, but here we are! Turns out the show was being recorded for a live album, so she sang a lot of foot stompers and bring-down-the-housers, including a moving cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" (Brandi's voice with the accompanying harp was simply perfect). She also covered Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues," Patsy Cline's "Crazy," and Elton John's "Sixty Years On." All else was original material like "Shadow on the Wall," "Dreams," "I Will," "The Story," "Bend Before It Breaks," "Turpentine," and "What Can I Say." I did capture a little video and sound recording on my phone, so if it turns out to be any good and if I can find a way to upload a sound file, I'll do that.

2 comments:

FROG'S new PAD said...

Did you stare at the Picasso's like Cameron in Ferris Bueller at the << Georges Seurat's "Sunday Afternoon on the Island">>?? Just heard Hallelujah on Shrek...probably NO comparison! luckie YOU!

Joyce said...

Like, when he is so drawn into the little pinpricks of paint he mentally vanishes? No, didn't. ;-)

I did manage to sneak two very grainy iPhone photos of two paintings, so look for 'em later this week after I'm home.

She didn't do "Hallelujah" at tonight's concert, but the twins did a very impressive cover of "Sounds of Silence." Then Brandi cracked up the crowd by asking, "Isn't that the creepiest, most beautiful thing you've ever heard?" LOL