Sunday, August 15, 2010

Happy Anniversary to My Wife

Isn't this miniature guitar the cutest thing you've ever seen?

We went to San Jose Jazzfest yesterday, and Chelle wandered off with our friend Stacia to go buy (I thought) gumbo or fried crawfish tails or something like that, and though she did come back with a very decent gumbo, she also bought me this baby guitar.

That's my Chelle. She is such a generous spirit; she doesn't wait for anniversaries to give me presents. She gives me gifts all the time.

Her presence in my life is a gift.

We've been together for six years today. I haven't always been a picnic; my three-year bender was a rough road for us. But that's past now. We survived my addiction to alcohol and came out on the other side much stronger.

She says the best present I ever gave her was deciding to check into rehab and get sober. Every day I wake up not hungover, not shaking, not remorseful and full of horror over a meltdown the night before, is a blessing.

I hope I continue to give her this gift every day for the rest of my life.

No comments: