Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cool Stuff: A Visual History of Nuclear Bombs



Cool all right, but grim food for thought. The movie starts with the first U.S. test bomb in the desert in New Mexico prior to the two bombs being dropped on Japan, in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Then it follows all other bombs dropped on this planet up until 1998, when India and Pakistan joined the madness. (One thing I never really realized was HOW MANY test bombs were exploded in Nevada. I know the bomb tests used to actually be marketed as a tourist attraction outside Las Vegas, but ... wow. That's the only word I've got for that.)

You can check out the whole story here.

2 comments:

Stark Raving Sober said...

I used to live in NM and they have this beautiful white sand beach that you can't spend too much time on because it's still slightly radioactive from testing nuclear bombs, as I recall. You used to be able to get a pass once a year to actually go to a 'ground zero' site that's usually closed to to the radioactive danger, I believe. Weird.

So, you know how I occasionally bother you for you opinion on some thing or other? Well I was wondering if I could get your two-cents about some of this:

http://stark-raving-sober.blogspot.com/2010/07/bits-and-pieces-methadone-needle.html

Thanks & Happy Friday!

Joyce said...

Done!