Monday, May 31, 2010

In Which Tigger Recounts the Tale of Her Smashed Knee

Joyce Luck I am icing my knee. Why, do you ask? I fell running up a hill with a rainbow trout in my hands. And almost landed on a gopher snake. Don't ask.
Yesterday at 7:50pm Friends Only · Comment · Like Unlike
Stacia Mumm, Ted Dinwiddie and 2 others like this.
Nicole Hyde
Ha! Ha!
Yesterday at 7:51pm ·
Joyce Luck
And I can't even use drinking as an excuse. Damn it.
Yesterday at 7:52pm ·
Sarah Terez Rosenblum
It must be Sunday.
Yesterday at 7:53pm ·
Dee Styma
if i didn't know better, i'd say you were CHASING an injured gray squirrel, offering him a gay trout?
Yesterday at 7:54pm ·
Amy J. Putnam
Sounds like it could make a great country song.
Yesterday at 7:54pm ·
Janett Blythe
LOL.. Chelle should have been taping that. You might have won some money on America's Funniest Videos. Did the trout survive? Why were you running UP the hill with a trout? Was a bear chasing you?
Yesterday at 7:55pm ·
Lara Goshey
lol wow..you sound like me!! i step off a curb and end up in urgent care rofl
Yesterday at 7:58pm ·
Anne Marie McNeil
Hat Creek?
Yesterday at 7:59pm ·
Joyce Luck
Janett: no, but she practically peed herself laughing at me. The trout survived. I was trying to run him up a little hill from Hat Creek to her dad's pond (we catch trout out of the creek and then throw them into her dad's pond). Unfortunately, I fell. So while I'm lying there eating dirt, Chelle grabs the fish from me and gets it to the pond in time. It was a little stunned, but he swam away, no doubt thinking to himself, "That's the last time I'm falling for that bait crap"
Yesterday at 8:01pm ·
Joyce Luck
Then Chelle came back down the hill after tinkling in the bushes and pointed at the grass near me and said, "Look! A snake!"
Yesterday at 8:02pm ·
Joyce Luck
I first ascertained that there were no rattles and then I shrugged. The snake slithered away after Chelle tried poking it with a stick....I don't know why...maybe she was trying to make ME pee MY pants
Yesterday at 8:02pm ·
Jen Smith
blame it on some damn environmental group...they boobie trapped the path you were on cause you were fixin to eat a poor defenseless lil ol fish. they didn't plan on the runaway snake who barely escaped your path of destruction...
Yesterday at 8:03pm ·
Joyce Luck
And all without a safety net, folks! Applause, applause
Yesterday at 8:03pm ·
Joyce Luck
Jen: if there is a critter to be tripped over, I will find a way to do so.
Anne: yes. I'm here making the world safe for ... for .... I have no idea
Yesterday at 8:06pm ·
Corey Tubbs
Oh, crap. A SNAKE!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday at 8:19pm ·
Joyce Luck
Aw, he was a very young one and only about three feet long
Yesterday at 8:22pm ·
Corey Tubbs
That is precisely what ended my fishing career prematurely. A friggin' snake! If there was any fish unfortunate enough to have been snagged by my hook, it was going to be in for one helluva bumpy ride -- cause I JETTED up the hill, carrying my fishing pole over my shoulder, not even bothering to reel in the line! Now the snake was just a garter snake, but I didn't give a flying crap. It was a snake. I run from snakes. That's what I do, mang!
11 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
LOL! I once almost stepped on a baby rattlesnake on a trail in Yosemite....I think that cured me of any snake phobias...now SPIDERS. That is a different story.
11 hours ago ·
Janett Blythe
I don't like snakes, spiders or frogs. Looked inside my shed today to get something for the pool and the whole inside was one big spider web and a hundred little spiders. I'm buying all new pool stuff. LOL
11 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
Ugh. Spiders. The hairy ones are the worst
11 hours ago ·
Janett Blythe
I've never looked that close to see hair, so I'll take your word on that one. LOL
11 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
LOL!
Now things are getting interesting. My knee has doubled in size and I can't bend it. Oops. Musta hit a rock when I landed or something.
11 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
This is a very funny conversation. Maybe I'll copy and paste it to my blog. Does anybody care if I do that? I'll wait until tomorrow morning to give anybody objecting a chance to say no.
11 hours ago ·
Janett Blythe
You need to take some ibuprofen.
11 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
I have. It just so happened "Aunt Flo" came to see me today too. Hmm, I wonder what else could go wrong today. There are still a few hours left...... I reckon I could fall out of bed or something.
11 hours ago ·
Corey Tubbs
Cool by me, Joyce. Do what you do. You and me are the opposite about snakes and spiders, though. I can deal with spiders: I just stomp or smash 'em with a heavy object, and I'm over it. But if they get on me, that's a different story! I find that I can do the Harlem Shake with surprising skill when that happens! But snakes??? Nah. There is not a snake alive that could catch me if I have even the slightest chance to escape!

There was also this one time in Jacksonville, FL when I was staying down there with my brother for awhile that I was riding my 15 speed down the sidewalk. I thought I spotted the head of one of those tiny lizards that always crossed my path, and I'd long since gotten used to. When its head actually lifted ABOVE the grass, however... Suffice it to say that I practically killed myself trying to peddle that bike faster than it was even built to go!!! Didn't look back until I was almost at the main highway. The snake was gone. Probably thinking "What in the Blue Blazes is wrong with THAT fool?"
10 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
LOL! Isn't that funny how critters can unnerve us so? And then I think of elephants that are scared to death of mice. Or is that a myth?
10 hours ago ·
Corey Tubbs
Yeah, I think that's just a myth, J. lol
10 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
D'oh!
10 hours ago ·
Leigh Colenda
actually, there may be some truth to the elephant/mouse thing. it's still up for discussion. didn't mythbusters do an experiment about it once?/ so sorry about your knee, joycie. a compression wrap may be in order to help keep the swelling from getting any worse. hopefully, you had full range of motion and no pain upon standing immediately after ... See Morethe fall. um, for the future, could you guys consider a bucket with a mixture of the stream water and the pond water for safer transport? of course, you'd probably trip over it.....
10 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
LOL! Leigh! Good timing. My geeky self got curious so I just googled "are elephants afraid of mice?" and found that Mythbusters segment. Corey, check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpTSA_25wGE
10 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
Leigh, we wouldn't have to mix pond and creek water since the pond is fed by the creek anyway..... but a bucket of it isn't a bad idea! My knee is probably fine; I can bend it okay and walked just fine right after it happened. I think I just waited too long to ice it, but we weren't done fishing yet. I think I just banged it pretty well.
10 hours ago ·
Leigh Colenda
i love being a geek, too! if you do the bucket, try a little blaze orange on it.
10 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
Is that a "Chuck" thing? I'm not "chuck" enough to know what a little blaze orange is. Whatcha talking bout?
10 hours ago ·
Leigh Colenda
definitely..really "chuck"!
10 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
Dammit. I hate it when I don't pass the butch, I mean the chuck test. ;-)
10 hours ago ·
Leigh Colenda
uh, think you failed that earlier today when you fell down with a trout in your hands...running up hill. --can't even blame it on added momentum. (tee hee)
10 hours ago ·
Leigh Colenda
woops! did i just say "tee hee"?! --think i failed the chuck standard on that one.
10 hours ago ·
Tote Board Brad
whatevs. i saw that episode of Degrassi.
Joyce Luck
Well, fine. I'll just be the "soft chuck" bottom as usual. (TMI for some of you, sorry 'bout that)...then again I mentioned Aunt Flo so everybody knows my bidness 'round here
9 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
Hey! Maybe I tripped on the snake. THAT is pretty chuck!
9 hours ago ·
Tote Board Brad
shit, maybe it was the camping upstate episode of gossip girl. who can remember.
9 hours ago ·
Joyce Luck
Doesn't matter... I still have no clue what you two are talking about LOL
9 hours ago ·
Dawn Cerbo Perrone
nature scares me.
3 hours ago ·
Write a comment...
UPDATE: The swelling has gone down considerably overnight and I can bend my knee just fine. No worries. It'll be sore for a couple of days, but apparently fish, snake, and I have all survived the incident without too much damage done.
SECOND UPDATE: the conversation continues on Facebook, in which we discuss the finer points of being freaked out in an outhouse by the idea of spiders crawling onto our naked hineys.

No comments: