Saturday, May 1, 2010

Calvin Borel Does It Again, Breaks Pletcher Curse


Note to Self: Betting strategy for next year--bet whomever Calvin Borel is riding. Good lord, that man has won three of the last four Derbys.

The result was Super Saver, Ice Box, Paddy O'Prado, and Make Music For Me. None of these was a favorite of mine, but if you happened to bet one of the "Easy Derby Plays" I put up in my last blog post, you would've gotten the exacta, which paid $76 and some change.

Unfortunately for me, that wasn't enough to make up for the variety of bets I placed, but it did make the losses much less painful.

I was at Golden Gate Fields and it was difficult to see exactly what happened on those monitors (and the overhead shots! WTF?! I couldn't tell who was whom with that ridiculous bird's-eye view being shown for much of the race. So I'll have to find a replay and watch it to see what happened. It looks like Lookin At Lucky was trapped behind horses, finally got to the outside, and made a big run, but just couldn't get there. He was passed by others to his outside and came in sixth. I have no idea what happened with Stately Victor, but an eighth in the Kentucky Derby is not horrible, especially when the track was as messy as it was. The surprise to me was Sidney's Candy, who seemed to be running well and then seemed to back up. He finished in 17th place, so there has to be a story there. We're hoping he's not injured. Smokin' Joe Talamo just can't seem to catch any Derby luck.

But good for Todd Pletcher! He's finally broken his Derby curse. I would've rather it had been the filly, but I'll settle for what I got.

Hope it was a safe and fun day for you! My significant other got very lucky in the last three races at Golden Gate and came home with about $500, so as they say, "It's all good." Onto the Preakness!

No comments: