Sunday, April 25, 2010

It's Holy Week! The Kentucky Derby


It's that time of year again!

Today's news is that Eskendereya is out of the Derby, not a huge surprise to those who noted he had front wraps on for the Wood Memorial and hasn't done any serious works since.

This opens the door for the filly Devil May Care to get in, or Jackson Bend, or Backtalk...

Unfortunately for me, now Lookin At Lucky will no doubt be the favorite for the Run for the Roses, and I hate taking low odds, especially on a race with a huge field like the Kentucky Derby, where anything can happen. But the fact remains I have a futures bet on Lucky; he's exacta boxed with the field.

I also have a soft spot for longshot Stately Victor, who upset at Keeneland in the Bluegrass Stakes. He's named after Victor Perrone, a young man who was killed at age 23 in a car accident, and probably half of Louisville, Kentucky, would like to see this horse do well. Stately Victor's namesake is the brother of an online buddy of mine, and his wife is my BFINM (Best Friend I've Never Met). Is it a sentimental bet? You bet your booty. But if Stately Victor can get first, and Lookin At Lucky gets second, I'll take that--all the way to the IRS window.

(Hi, Dawn!)

The other big news is that Rachel Alexandra will be running in the undercard on Oaks Day. I just wish Zenyatta had had the heads up to be there as well so those two could finally meet on dirt.

I'll be posting updates on the Oaks and Derby all week, posting picks the night before each race and tweeting them. So stay tuned! Would be very interested in hearing other people's picks (post here, or, if you're a Facebook friend, there).

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Love this!!!!

Joyce said...

Of course you do, rock star!

Matt said...

how about 48 hours in advance for your Derby picks? Maybe just a tri or super bet? Willing to share the sheets with you as soon as I get them1

Joyce said...

That works for me, Matt!

Of course then I'll worry all day that I picked the wrong horses and it will be ALL MY FAULT you lost, but I'll get over it. LOL