Friday, January 11, 2008

OMG, I Can't Believe I Actually Won This!

I try to not toot my own horn too horribly hard--to some degree, having a blog is a form of self-promotion as it is. But this is something I'm very proud of, and deeply moved by, and rather stunned that I will be receiving. I just got the news today by phone, and then came this follow-up email. Hard copy is in snail mail. It's an honor, to say the least. BJ Seymour was my mentor in college--heck, on graduation day, she was the one to hood me, not my dad. To win this award named for her is absolutely marvelous, and needless to say, I'm going to do my best to make it back to Richmond on March 7. Wow. I haven't been back to my alma mater in over 20 years. I think I'm still in shock. Read on ...
Subject: Congratulations From the Randolph-Macon College Gender Relations Council

January 10, 2008

Dear Joyce:

The Gender Relations Council of Randolph-Macon College is proud to congratulate you on being nominated as a potential recipient of the 4th Annual Seymour Award for Outstanding Female Alumni. The information provided to us by those who nominated you reflects your commitment to women and the broader community in and out of Randolph-Macon. There were several outstanding individuals nominated, and it was a difficult decision for the award committee to make.

We are very excited to inform you that you have been selected as this year’s recipient of the Seymour Award. Based on our review of your accomplishments, there is no doubt about your value to the college and the larger community. Your achievements will be spoken of for sometime to come and the admiration for your accomplishments is felt deeply by the entire Randolph-Macon community. We are sure that the contributions and example set by outstanding alumna like you largely contribute to the lives of our current students, staff and faculty. As a result, we would like to invite you to a luncheon in your honor on Friday, March 7, 2008 at 12pm in the Trustee/Worsham room in Estes Dining Hall. We are really looking forward to celebrating you and it is important that you participate in this event.

You are a shining example of the kind of values that pioneering Professor Emerita Betty Jean Seymour (of which the Award is named after) stood for. We have also contacted your nominator Professor Theodore Sheckels, regarding your honor and have asked him to be present at the event as well. If you are able to participate in this event, and if there are individuals that you would especially like to help you celebrate this honor, please email me your response and guest information at [XXX] or you may contact me by phone at [XXX.] Again, please accept our heartiest congratulations, and we are honored to have such an outstanding recipient for this prestigious award.

Sincerely,
Shalise Bates-Pratt, MSW- Director
Student Leadership
Randolph-Macon College

(As this is a public blog, I X'd out her email and phone number.)

4 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Congratulations Joyce! Well deserved I am sure.

Hahn at Home said...

That is excellent news, Joyce! Congratulations!

Joyce said...

Thanks, y'all!

Margo Moon said...

A little late, but Congratulations, Joyce!