Tuesday, October 23, 2007

More on the Breeder's Cup ...

Oh phooey! I didn't realize that the Irish horse, Dylan Thomas, would be running against English Channel in the Turf. Dylan Thomas is another awesome horse, and, as an English teacher, I can't exactly bet against the poet! As my partner would say, "Bah!" Looks like an exacta box to me, but they've got morning line odds of 7-5 (Dylan Thomas) and 5-2 (English Channel). That exacta won't pay poop.

As for the Classic, the plot thickens (click here for today's Daily Racing Form article on the draw). Lawyer Ron, the morning line favorite, has drawn the rail, but he's a stalker. Not the best spot for him. Street Sense, on the other hand, is in post 2, so you can be sure Calvin "Bo-Rail" will take him right to the rail, save ground, and do his usual "get outta my way, I'm flying past you now" in the stretch. Hard Spun's the number 8, and he always goes to the lead, so Lawyer Ron will probably track him.

Tiago has post nine, so watch out. There's your closer. My guts are telling me he'll hit the board.

Curlin is a bit of an anomaly in that he can be placed anywhere and win. I still remember on Derby day watching that little guy, the most inexperienced horse in the field, get bumped around like crazy and still have enough heart to finish third. My partner and I both said, "Watch out for him in the Preakness!" I did hit the trifecta that day. But that one was a no brainer.

There's Awesome Gem and Any Given Saturday to consider, but I'm tempted to toss out George Washington just because that horse is a nutcase.

I still haven't looked at past performances yet, but my partner is taking the afternoon off tomorrow and we are going to Bay Meadows to sit in our box, relax, have a few beers, and get to know each other again. (She's been working a lot of hours lately.) I was thinking about hauling along a stack of student essays since I have two batches right now, but eh. Why spoil a nice afternoon on fretting over comma splices? So perhaps we'll do some Breeder's Cup 'cappin together.

For the non-horse racing folks who check this blog, sorry. This week it's all about the ponies. Any more the Breeder's Cup is more exciting than Derby Day, much as one hates to say it.

2 comments:

Margo Moon said...

Well, Triple Secs, I'm going out on a limb for the Classic. Lawyer Ron. Take his momentum from the Whitney, and throw out the Gold Cup. He had to fight the little guy on his back a bit (no pun) in that one.

Lawyer Ron.

Again, as long as they all come back okay, then it's a great race.

Saturday should be exciting.

Joyce said...

I wouldn't say you've gone out on a limb to bet the favorite.

But I'll agree that if they all come back okay, it's a good race. :-)