Monday, September 24, 2007

Another President in Denial

Click here to see Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad make an idiot out of himself today in an address at Columbia University. He was asked about the treatment of homosexuals and women in his country. His utterly ridiculous answer brought shouts of laughter from the student body. Uh, Mr. Ahmadinejad? The reason you think there are no homosexuals in your country is that they stay hidden as well as they can, since you guys do things like hang and behead them.

4 comments:

Spokane Al said...

If you have not yet read this account, I highly recommend it. Perhaps if the audience had read it they would have responded with something stronger than laughter.

http://direland.typepad.com/direland/2005/09/theyll_kill_me_.html

Spokane Al said...

Sorry about the link above, here is the correct, full link.

http://direland.typepad.com/direland/2005/09/theyll_kill_me_.html

Spokane Al said...

The comments keep cutting off the link. I have split it in three to prevent that but they should be combined.

http://direland.typepad.com/
direland/2005/09/
theyll_kill_me_.html

Joyce said...

I got it to work finally. Wow. Horrid photos, horrid account. No doubt about it, that's an oppressive regime. (As was Saddam Hussein's and the Taliban's in Afghanistan; you've got no argument from me on those points.)

I think it's one terrible irony that some of the worst crimes against humankind are committed in the name of religion, both now and historically. Thanks for the link, a somber reminder. :-(