Friday, August 24, 2007

Whew, Am I Exhausted (Part One)

What a crazy couple of weeks. My partner and I left Spokane at the crack of dawn Saturday morning and drove to Bend, Oregon. I was behind her in her Explorer with my heart in my throat, just waiting for my beautiful 40-year anniversary Mustang convertible to roll off the trailer she was towing behind the U-Haul. Amazingly, it stayed put, and the bumper didn't smash through my windshield and hit me in the face after all. The one thing that wouldn't remain stable was the U-Haul's left front tire. It had a slow leak. Mind you, this is a 26-foot truck that needed a minimum of 9 feet of clearance, and it's got a trailer attached as I said, so finding a service station that she could manuever the truck in so she could refill the tire every day to 100psi proved a challenge. It is a true pain in the ass to back a car off a trailer, unhook the trailer, get back in the truck to make a turn, hook the trailer back on, and drive the car back onto the trailer. Anyway....

We made it to Vacaville, California, on Sunday. The cats fared better the second day, having adjusted to riding in the car, and they mostly slept the whole way. Everytime I hit a bump, though, they were roused and made sure to meow a few complaints. Traffic in the Bay Area hasn't changed a bit, I was quick to discover. Imagine 8 lanes of people who are suffering from the delusion that they're Richard Petty. Having gotten used to virtually no traffic in Spokane, I was treated to a number of blaring horns and one-fingered salutes, I guess because I was putzing along at a measly 75 miles per hour. Jeeeeeeez.

We arrived at our new home on Monday and gave into reality. Two creaky old ladies in their 40's ain't unloading no big honkin' U-Haul by themselves. So, we got my partner's brother, who is fluent in Spanish, to drive the Explorer to Home Depot and find us some day laborers. He returned with 4 sturdy fellas who busted their butts, unloading the truck and getting it all to the top floor of our apartment building in four hours without breaking a thing. We gave them lots of Coronas and $60 apiece. It was a steal.

Later on, old friends came over to welcome us home, and we sat around an unopened box that served as a table, eating pizza and drinking beer. Gawd, it's good to be home.

3 comments:

Faythe - Amateur Malcontent said...

Glad to see you made it safe and sound, and glad that you're living in a place that makes you happy again!

Joyce said...

Thanks! It's not that I was unhappy in Spokane, I just hated not being able to get a decent job. Now that I'm back in the classroom, I feel more like my old self again...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great blog. As I was looking for UHAUL comments on the net, I stumbled upon your blog. I have also found a great site that has collected a lot of UHAUL Complaints. Check it out - you will enjoy it as well

Regards