Saturday, July 21, 2007

Virginia Derby

Today's the Virginia Derby at Colonial Downs, and guess who's running? Circular Quay, after a 2-month layoff. This is the darn horse I had in virtually all of my Kentucky Derby exotics tickets, not to mention two futures bets on the colt's nose. Needless to say, he came in 6th. Grrrr.

Today he could finally redeem himself since he's faster than any of the horses in this field, but he'll be bet down so much (he's one of three Todd Pletcher entries) that he'll hardly be worth the wager. So I'm thinking let's hope he charges to the lead and sets a blistering pace and then tires. (Of course, Garrett Gomez is his new jockey, and Go-Go Gomez seldom does stupid things like that.) The other thing against him is that this is a turf race, and he's never raced on the grass.

So, I'm gonna bet against him! I like the 9, Summer Doldrums. Wish me luck. The race should be on television somewhere between 2-3 Pacific Time.

UPDATE: Ha! I went to the OTB in Post Falls to play, and they didn't have Colonial Downs available. So not only could I not bet this race, I couldn't watch it either! It's just as well, because Circular Quay didn't win, but neither did Summer Doldrums (who came in 4th). Another of the Pletcher horses won. Huh.

No comments: