Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mary Cheney Delivers a Baby Boy


According to World Net Daily, "Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney, became a mother today when she gave birth to a baby boy.

Samuel David Cheney was born at 9:46 a.m., weighing 8 pounds, 6 ounces, at Sibley Hospital in Washington, D.C.

Samuel is the sixth grandchild for Vice President Cheney.

"The vice president is pleased to be a grandfather for the sixth time," spokeswoman Megan McGinn said.

According to reports, Mary's homosexual partner of 15 years, Heather Poe, "will have no legal relationship with her child. She can't adopt as a second parent. She won't have her name on the birth certificate."

I was fine with all of this until I got to the last paragraph and then I had to shut my eyes and swallow hard. Heather will be that child's second parent in every way possible, you can bet. She'll help with nighttime feedings, she'll change diapers, she'll make up bottles, she'll be there through the teething, the ear infections, the trips to the doctor, everything. Samuel will think of both Mary and Heather as his Moms. But, heaven forbid, if Mary and Heather ever grow apart and decide to separate, too bad for Heather. More importantly, too bad for baby Samuel.

Let's be real. How many straight parents do you know who have, in hurt and anger, used children as a bargaining chip during a divorce? Or as a way to punish each other, squabbling over custody? Gay people do it too. Here, Heather has zero power. If they break up, Mary could, legally, stick her nose in the air and say, "Sorry. You're out of his life."

Leaving Samuel feeling baffled and abandoned, wondering if Heather's absence isn't somehow his fault, and leaving Heather devastated over the loss of a child.

I should know. Years ago, my then-partner of six years and I split up, and she happened to be the biological mother of our 3 and a half year old son. We lived in Ohio at the time where second parent adoptions were not legal, so when my ex forbade me to have anything more to do with him, I had no legal recourse, and she wouldn't listen to reason. So ... It has been ten years since I've seen David. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him and wonder how he is. I hope he's healed from the loss of a parent, and I grieve over the fact that it was completely unnecessary for him to have to experience that loss at all.

Second parent adoptions between same-sex couples should be standard operating procedure in every state in this nation. It's one more reason gay marriages should be legalized. Bigotry affects us all.

No comments: