Wednesday, May 16, 2007

American Idol: No Surprise But Wrong

Melinda Doolittle, who is hands down the best singer and from the start has been the most consistently strong vocalist, has been kicked out. Blake (Buh-Buh-Buh-Yer-Boring Me) and Jordin are left.

Melinda had the vocal talent but not the looks. I saw this coming, actually, and blogged about it here. It's true; she has no neck and she looks like Shrek. It makes me sad that we can't pick a female American Idol who doesn't live up to the ideals of the Beauty Myth.

The male winners certainly haven't. Here's Ruben, looking more expansive than Walt Whitman (to be kind). And here's Taylor Hicks. The word "handsome" simply doesn't come to mind.



But Blake, if he succeeds at all as a singer, will be a one-hit wonder. He has his beat-box thing and that's it. And I just don't know what to feel about Jordin. I like her, but she doesn't deserve to win over Melinda.

But I like her better than Blake. (Then I think, she's only 17, god love her, and I am cringing at the coming implosion already.)

Now, do I spend text message money or cell phone minutes voting on all this nonsense? No way. Actually, my significant other and I were pondering the results tonight and decided that the reason Melinda got voted out is pretty much the reason George W. Bush is our President: America's masses are asses.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I always thought she looked like a black Lily Tomlin.

Joyce said...

Ha! Yeah, kinda, huh? Although Tomlin's a lot taller.