Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Corruption of Language Coincides with the Corruption of Society

Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq. Yup, we have been there for four full years, attempting to change the hearts and minds of the Iraqis while chasing the terrorists out of there and ... well, into someplace else, I guess. I'm still trying to figure out what our real goal is with that; you whack one terrorist and two pop back up in his place, sort of like playing Whack-A-Mole. But I digress. There were mass demonstrations in Iraq yesterday, the basic sentiment being "U.S., leave our country." From Crooks and Liars, where video is posted:

Michael Ware reports from Baghdad on Muqtada al-Sadr's rallying cry
and subsequent mass demonstration — to fight against US occupation. Yesterday marked the four year anniversary of the picture perfectly staged toppling of Saddam's statue. Unfortunately, the man who took a sledgehammer to that statue now wishes Saddam was still in power. Ouch. Luckily, our ever optimistic
administration claims these protests are signs of progress and success.


I did catch a snippet on CNN yesterday and sure enough, the man who took the sledgehammer to Saddam's statue runs a motorcycle shop (Harleys, to be precise) and can't make a living anymore. He now regrets Saddam's fall.

But yeah, we're changing the hearts and minds. And, as George Orwell wrote in 1984, War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

So how has our language been otherwise corrupted? Well, the Bushie Boys are saying the mass protests (we claim there were "only" 7,000 protestors; the Iraqis claim there were tens of thousands, burning U.S. flags and the whole schmiel) are PROOF that things are better in Iraq. Yep! Under Saddam there could be no protests! No freedom of speech! So the fact that the Iraqis can holler loudly that they want us out of their country means ... well, it means we belong there!

This reminds me of, oh, was it about a year ago maybe? There was a report out on the state of the U.S. economy, and the Bushie Boys were taking note of the fact that more Americans are dipping into their savings accounts nowadays. This, they said, was a sign that U.S. citizens are doing well and trust that things are getting better financially. They feel so secure in their financial futures that they feel free to go ahead and spend some of their savings! Whooohoooo! Yay!

Except that I know that I, for one, had to pull money out of my savings because things like the price of gas had shot sky high and I had no choice if I wanted to pay my other bills.

DOUBLESPEAK. It's what the present Administration is all about.

2 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Joyce, it almost sounds as if you are saying that the Bush administration is the cause and the reason for the high price of gas vs. the true cause - supply and demand fluxuations and world events?

I tend to not look towards the government to solve market issues but believe that the market handles things, for the most part, equitably through supply and demand.

Joyce said...

Hi Al, that's not what I said at all. What I said was that the reason I had to withdraw money from my savings was that things such as gasoline had gone up in price. In other words, it was necessity that had me dip into my savings, not, as the Bush Spin Machine was claiming, that I (and most Americans) felt so financially secure that I/we had money to blow.