Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Bloomsday Part Three

Well, it's as I feared: I have a sinus infection, which explains the overall sluggishness and breathing problems I've been having. The good news is that now I'm on antibiotics for the next 10 days, so if the infection clears up, I should be able to start training outside again towards the latter part of next week. In the meantime I'll just increase the resistance on the elliptical and keep plugging away indoors since that's better than doing absolutely nothing. I also got a prescription for loratadine to help combat the seasonal allergies that exacerbate all of this.

Of course, I've had to come to the realization that there's just no way I will be able to run the 7.4 mile course without stopping and walking bits of it ... just haven't been able to do the quality training to get me conditioned enough to make that happen. Oh well. It'll still be a challenge to do the run at all, even if I end up strolling across the finish line. My partner suggested I fill my Platypus Hydration System with beer and slurp on that through the whole course. LOL

But hey, I'm serious about the pub crawl afterwards! After the race, I'll probably want to shower (because I am a profuse sweater) but maybe I can do that downtown where I work out. We can aim for a noontime kickoff for the drinkoff. Email if interested.

10 comments:

Spokane Al said...

The late, great running philosopher Dr George Sheehan used to recommend beer as a fluid replacement, so there is definitely some merit to your idea.

I hope you feel better soon so you can get outside and enjoy this magnificant spring weather.

Cap'n Dyke said...

Me Darlin', iffin Th' Cap'n wasn't wrestlin' a tiger (tigger?) that same day, I'd be there with beer refills!

Joyce said...

Definitely beer afterwards, Al! Probably at the usual places and then some...Shenaningans, Steamplant, the Elk...if you imbibe, hey, I'm happy to buy you a cold one after the race! 'Course Bloomsday is probably just a little ol' training run for you. :-)


I'll probably skip filling the Platypus with beer though; otherwise I'll be staggering my way through the course.

Joyce said...

Cap'n, that's nice of you to say. Since you're the gourmand of the group, I bet you'd appreciate the Coeur d'Alene Brewing Company's Huckleberry Beer. It's refreshing, sweet, and definitely different.

Is that Fighting Tigger gonna end up as part of the Cap'n's escapades? ;-)

Spokane Al said...

Joyce, thank you very much for the offer. I am not much for pub crawls so will definitely be looking forward to reading about your experience in your blog.

Joyce said...

I'll be sure to bring along my camera phone, Al. That ought to produce a couple of hoots. ;-)

Cap'n Dyke said...

Huckleberry Beer sounds quite intoxicatin', Me Dear! It be a date - some day in th'future... ;)

As for a Fightin' Tigger in future escapades, need ye ask anythin' but WHEN?

Joyce said...

Coolio! Well, just remember, Fightin' Tiggers are like kangaroos. Do you remember that episode where Sylvester fights what he thinks is a baby mouse, but it's a baby kangaroo that beats the stuffin' outa him? ;-)

Cap'n Dyke said...

Aye, Me Hapless One, that I remember well! I be seein' it now, th'deceptively-subdued young woman who turns into someone who beats th'stuffin' out o'anyone that crosses her...

Joyce said...

It's true, it's true! I try to kill people with kindness, but if that doesn't work, then I just clobber 'em. LOL