Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Lies, More Lies, and Damned Lies

Glenn Greenwald over at Salon writes in "Lying to Congress has become a Republican principle, literally" that:

Revelations about White House involvement in the firing of the U.S. Attorneys means that the testimony of top Justice Department officials to Congress was fundamentally false. And everyone knows that now.

As they say, the sh*t is about to hit the fan. Yesterday afternoon, the Senate Judiciary Committee sent five letters requesting that White House Counsel Harriet Miers [can you believe Dubya wanted this twit to be a Supreme Court Justice?], her deputy counsel William Kelley, and Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove [oink, oink!] to cooperate with the committee’s investigation into the mass firings of US attorneys. I doubt they'll cooperate, so the subpoenas will be next.

In the meantime, John Edwards and Hillary Clinton are both calling on Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to resign in the wake of the oh-so-clearly political firings of eight U.S. Attorneys. Gonzales has to turn over damning documents, and even the Wall Street Journal suggests he's quaking in his shoes.

This particular set of Republicans sure does have an interesting conception of what "Justice" is. Politics should have no place in it. Then again, Gonzales is the dolt who claims the Constitution doesn't guarantee Habeas Corpus. The next two years are gonna be long ones, folks.

UPDATE: John Sununu, R-NH, is the first Republican to call for Gonzales' resignation.

5 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I am a bit troubled by the fact that Hillary Clinton is offended. Her husband fired all of the US attorneys when he took office, which stopped a number of investigations including the one into Dan Roskinkowski (who ultimately went to jail and was later pardoned by Clinton). And contrary to what she said today, Clinton was the first to do this wholesale firing.

These people serve at the pleasure of the president and while anyone who is fired is usually offended and angry, it is a fact of life.

I wish it had been done a bit more professionally and that the administration would stop apologizing for something that is well within its pervue and power.

I don't mean to start a fight - just thought you might be interested in another's perspective.

Joyce said...

Hi Al, no worries about starting a fight. I think respectful dialogue is important, and my views shift accordingly. Yup, you're right: Clinton did a purge when his Administration first entered office, and didn't Reagan do so as well? (Memory rusty on that one.) I think the "suspect" thing in the minds of many is that it's never been done in a President's second term--I saw something somewhere yesterday about that; will try to find it and post the link here.

I have a true love/hate relationship with Hillary Clinton. I admire some things about her. Otoh, I feel a little weird about a "Clinton Dynasty" in much the same way I felt odd about a "Bush Dynasty." She's a consummate politician and sometimes I doubt her sincerity. Barack Obama and John Edwards are looking better to me. I still wish Al Gore would run.

Joyce said...

Well, here's one link anyway, though it's not the one I was thinking of:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/3/13/22617/8814

Once there, you can also click on their "Associated Press" link to get more of the story since Daily Kos is obviously out of the People's Republic of Berkeley. ;-)

I'll keep hunting for that other link later. My brain is dead. I woke up at 3:30am and haven't been able to get back to sleep so am now officially deciding to stay up.

Joyce said...

Okay dokey, here's one that explains the timeline of the firings extremely well:

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002734.php

This one rather makes the political motives rather plain:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/14/rove-fitzgerald/

This one gets at perhaps more crooked motives:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/013019.php

And, well, this one summarizes the whole story, emails, fibs, and all:

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/cats/us_attorneys/

Hopefully it won't give you the headache it's given me. :-)

Joyce said...

Aha! I found it! I found it! :-)

This one cogently explains the difference between the current purging of U.S. Attornies and that of the past.

www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/10193.html