Monday, March 5, 2007

Jesus Family Tomb

I watched the documentary last night on the Discovery Channel, and I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. It's not like they definitively reached the conclusion that yes, the Talpiot Tomb is the tomb of Jesus's family. All they are saying (is give peace a chance ... ). Seriously, they're saying it's a possibility, and perhaps a strong one, and then presented their evidence. I found it pretty compelling, and I certainly didn't hear anything to the contrary that was more compelling. Apparently the only argument for its not being the Jesus Family Tomb was that the names Mary, Jesus, Joseph, Matthew, Jose, etc, were all common names then.

But statistically the odds of that exact collection of names appearing in a single tomb are something like a zillion to one, so, as I said, they've got some compelling evidence.

And if the ossuary marked Jesus, son of Joseph does indeed contain Jesus's bones, it actually doesn't have to mess with the idea of the resurrection. As pointed out, the resurrection could very well have been a spiritual one, not a physical one, so what difference does it make? (Kinda like why I never could figure out the reason so many Christians are against the idea of evolution. Who's to say that God didn't create humanity through a process of evolution?)

If the tomb is the Jesus Family Tomb, the only thing that might be shocking is the possibility that Mary Magadelene was Jesus's wife, and Judah was their son. It will be interesting to see if they can collect DNA from Jesus's and Judah's ossuaries and compare it to the DNA they were able to get from Mary Magadelene's.

Anyway, I'm sure Discovery will air the documentary again, so if you missed it, be sure to check it out.

2 comments:

flash29 said...

> (Kinda like why I never could figure out the reason so many Christians are against the idea of evolution. Who's to say that God didn't create humanity through a
> process of evolution?)

The order of evolution is the same as the order of creation - or vice versa depending on which one you believe in (the most)...And we don't know if during creation time, a day was only 24 hours or if it was more.

Anyway, just dropped in because I don't have email access at work so I decided to start a blog (yes, me, I started a blog) so I can keep in touch with people. However, since I didn't start it until I got to work, you're the only person I can tell about it. Tell the 'Maniacs.

Elaine
http://flash2929.blogspot.com/

Joyce said...

Oh, I see. After all the shit you gave me when I started my blog, now you go and start one. ;-)

Consider it done. I'll add you to my link list ...