Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Bloomsday Part Two

So I went outside for a run yesterday since it got up to 60 here in Spokane. I was disappointed with how much conditioning I've lost training inside on the elliptical. All I did was a moderate 2-mile loop, about a mile downhill and a mile back up. Trotted downhill easily enough, but could feel it in my ankles. The hill was a killer. I had to stop and walk a bit three times (when I moved here, I could charge up that hill and have to take only one break). Fortunately I've got 8 weeks to get ready for Bloomsday. I reckon if I can do that loop 2 times without stopping and then tacking on maybe another mile or two of flat, I'll be ready.

At least I finished with a lot of kick still in me. I forced myself to stop because I didn't want to be too sore today and tomorrow. I took in 5mgs of glutamine, some amino acids, and ate a hardboiled egg right before sleeping last night. No shinsplints, no sore calves or hams, just a little stiffness in the quads. So the elliptical has probably helped, but, as Spokane Al pointed out last weekend, nothing beats actually hitting the streets for real.

2 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I am glad to hear your run went well. You have plenty of time and I believe you will be ready to rock. Consistency is the key!

P.S. I can't say I ever tried eating a hard boiled egg just before bedtime. I hope it helped.

Joyce said...

It's a bodybuilding thang. Eggs contain the most usable protein, so it with glutamine and other amino acids are supposedly good for muscle repair, which, of course, happens primarily during your sleep. I'm guessing I'll be more sore tomorrow, but DOMS are good. If anything, my legs clearly needed the pounding! :-)