Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Jesus, Mary, and Judah

I'm intrigued to learn that James Cameron of Titanic fame and filmmaker extraordinaire has produced a documentary about a (possible) discovery of the tomb of Jesus of Nazareth. This will air on the Discovery Channel this Sunday at 9pm.

The Talpiot Tomb, pictured here, just outside Jerusalem, dates to the time of Jesus and contains ossuaries labelled with some pretty interesting names: Jesus, son of Joseph; Mary; Matthew; Joseph; and Mary Magadelene. More interestingly, one reads: "Judah, son of Jesus."

The implications are far-reaching. If the dusty bones found in Jesus' ossuary are Jesus's, then that means He wasn't resurrected, is simply a man and is not divine. And why would Mary Magadelene be in the family tomb of Jesus unless she were married to Jesus, as she is otherwise not related? And is Judah the offspring of Jesus and Mary?

Naturally the poo-flingin' has commenced already, with some saying all those names together in one tomb is mere coincidence, as Mary, Jesus, Judah, etc, were all common names at the time.

Others say Cameron is just trying to hop on the Da Vinci Code bandwagon and cash in.

As for me, I think I'll wait until Sunday and watch the documentary and then decide. Until then, for a more complete description of what the documentary is about, visit Discovery.com.

18 comments:

Cap'n Dyke said...

Personal opinion here. I think he was a decent fellow. Divine? Th'ship's jury is still out...

Joyce said...

Blasphemy! Now you must walk the plank!

OK, kidding. I think I'm with you. We know, historically, that Jesus existed. To me, it's his teachings that are important, not whether he's a god. Sometimes I like to think of Jesus as one of many paths to god.

Cap'n Dyke said...

I believe in taking responsibility for what you do -- fair or foul

treating others the way you want to be treated

and doing the best you can

it works for me

Joyce said...

Well said, me Cap'n! Couldn't agree with you more. Now let's go heft a pint. ;-)

Cap'n Dyke said...

Can I bring me Jesus Clone?

Joyce said...

I dunno. Do you have one? You got the original DNA outta that ossuary, didn't you?!

Cap'n Dyke said...

Damned right I did! I even got some mary magdalene for ye, Ma Chere!

Joyce said...

Yer so thoughtful, me Cap'n.

Cap'n Dyke said...

Ye just tweak th'kindness out o'me for some reason, Tigger. I can't tell ye how hard it is on me cold, dark heart... ;)

Joyce said...

I know it's my scintillating repartee and my gorgeous body that's tweaking you. I have that effect on women. ;-)

Cap'n Dyke said...

Scintillatin' Repartee an' Gorgeous Body; let's just Capitalize those words, shall we?

Joyce said...

Thank you, Cap'n Baby. Your boots are looking a little scuffed. Shall I bend down here and polish 'em for you? ;-)

After all, we can't be havin a muddy Cap'n!

Cap'n Dyke said...

Be me guest, Tiger Switch -- for now.

Joyce said...

Purrrfect! It's always best to live in the here and now.

Are you playing online at work? Bad Cap'n!

Cap'n Dyke said...

Nay, Me Tigger, Th' Cap'n be on one o' her three days off from her day-job. I work 10-hour days.

Ye'll have t'put up with me lurkin' for two more days afore I have t'get back t'wrestlin' animals.

Joyce said...

You're a zookeeper?

Cap'n Dyke said...

Mayhaps that's why I can train any animal. Ahhh, th'mystery that is Th' Cap'n...

Joyce said...

Yeah, but can you train a tigger? ;-)