Tuesday, January 23, 2007

'Tis Awards Season

Golden Globes, the Oscars, the Grammys ... but the BEST awards are the Eclipse Awards, given out last night at the Beverly Hills Wilshire. Horse of the Year, not surprisingly, went to Invasor, who beat Bernardini in the Breeders Cup Classic. I was surprised that Russell Baze didn't get jockey of the year since he recently passed Laffit Pincay's record as the most winningest jockey, but Edgar Prado got it (though Garrett Gomez probably deserved it!) Then again, Barbaro probably wouldn't be alive at all if it hadn't been for Prado's quick thinking in pulling the horse up during the Preakness. Other winners ... Ouija Board, Dreaming of Anna, Thor's Echo, and Street Sense (maybe this guy will finally break the Breeder's Cup curse, in which the winner of the juvenile never wins the Kentucky Derby the following year).

But all the buzz this morning was about the Oscar nominations (gee, and Dubya gives his "State of the Union" address tonight. Give him a quarter, I guess, and he can call someone who cares?) Anyway. I watched nomination highlights on the "Today Show" this morning while training on the elliptical, and I don't reckon there were many surprises, other than Dreamgirls not being nominated for Best Picture. No doubt Forest Whitaker will win Best Actor, Helen Mirren will win Best Actress, Scorcese will finally win Director for the Departed, An Inconvenient Truth should win Best Documentary (should, should, didn't say will), and that's the end of my opinions on the matter. I did chuckle at all the nominations Little Miss Sunshine got. That's a fun film if you haven't seen it.

Will Melissa Etheridge win the Oscar for Best Original Song ("I Need to Wake Up" from An Inconvenient Truth)? No! That will go to one of the Dreamgirls songs. Sorry to all my Melissa pals out there ... oh, no, they're piling the kindling underneath me now ... my hands are bound ... the flames are licking at my feet ... help ...

No comments: