Sunday, January 21, 2007

Horses


As all of my family and friends know, I love horses. As a child, I wanted a palomino but since I lived in the city (on the wrong side of the tracks as well, ahem), that was out of the question. But I read all the books like Black Beauty; Man O'War; Misty of Chincoteague; Stormy, Misty's Foal; The Black Stallion; and the list goes on. I also drew horses. I never did learn to ride, and then I grew up and the idea of ever having a horse was a dream that dissolved. The closest I get to horses nowadays is the occasional visit to the racetrack, where I love hearing the thundering hooves as these athletes--and they are athletes--flash by the finish line, and I love the creak and smell of leather and the heady scent of these powerful animals in the paddock.

And I have taken up drawing again. I made a few sketches in December, but for Christmas my partner's mom and dad gave me an awesome pencil set with these amazing woodless graphite pencils that I have already drawn down to nubs. Here's a little foal I drew.

No comments: